Hey, there! Log in / Register

Former Charlestown High student charged with gunfire as school graduation ceremonies were starting; others still sought

A judge ordered a former Charlestown High School student now living in Brockton held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing on charges related to gunfire that forced the postponement of graduation ceremonies at Charlestown High School in June, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports.

Djeison Resende, 21, was arraigned in Charlestown Municipal Court yesterday on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, carrying a firearm without a license, carrying a loaded firearm without a license and unlawful possession of ammunition. A judge ordered him held until a dangerousness hearing on Sept. 12.

Earlier this week, Boston Police reposted surveillance photos of numerous men seen fleeing the area of Polk Street in Charlestown, just down the street from Charlestown High's field, after a barrage of gunfire shortly before 4 p.m. on June 13.

The DA's office provided this account:

[Assistant DA Alexander] Ball told the court that Resende was among a group of three individuals who were present in the area of Polk Street near Charlestown High School on June 13, as the school’s graduation festivities was underway. The three encountered a larger group of approximately eight individuals at approximately 3:53 p.m. Within three minutes, members of Resende’s group opened fire on the larger group. One member of the larger group returned fire.

Resende’s actions prior to, during and after the shooting were captured on a series of public and private security cameras. Among the footage are multipole doorbell cameras that capture Resende fleeing the shooting with what appears to be a heavy object – believed to be a firearm – in the front pocket of his sweatshirt, which bears distinctive writing on one sleeve. Resende and the other two individuals were picked up by a vehicle at the intersection of Mystic and Bunker Hill streets and were driven from the area.

The shooting sent frantic graduates, loved ones and school staff fleeing from Charlestown High School’s graduation ceremony. No gun shot injuries were reported, but two vehicles sustained damage from the hail of bullets. One bullet went through a building’s exterior wall and into an apartment inside. Fortunately, no one was in the apartment at the time and no injuries occurred.

Detectives were able to identify Resende from security footage and located his current address in Brockton. A search warrant executed at the residence resulted in the recovery of a 9mm Glock 26 semi-automatic firearm. This weapon matches the caliber of ballistic evidence recovered from the same location where security camera footage captured Resende during the June 13 shooting. Clothing consistent with that worn by Resende on the day of the shooting was also collected.

A later search of the car uncovered a pistorl grip - and a Charlestown High student ID with Resende's name, from his days when he was a guard on the school basketball team, the DA's office adds.

On June 30, a Dorchester man, Tyrese Pina Marta, 19, was charged with being the getaway driver for some of the men.

Innocent, etc.


Like the job UHub is doing? Consider a contribution. Thanks!