Hey, there! Log in / Register

Smokers

By adamg - 11/22/17 - 7:49 am
Firefighters at 282 Hanover St.

Firefighters going up. Photo by BFD.

The Boston Fire Department reports "careless disposal of smoking material" started a three-alarm fire at 282 Hanover St. that killed two men - one after he jumped from the building to escape the flames. Read more.

By adamg - 11/16/17 - 12:42 pm

The Boston Fire Department reports investigators have concluded a Saturday fire that did an estimated $350,000 in damage to a house on Newburg Street at Belgrade Avenue in Roslindale was caused by "improper disposal of smoking material" on the first-floor porch. Before being knocked down, the fire spread to the second floor and attic.

GoFundMe page for the residents.

By adamg - 8/31/17 - 10:28 am
Firefighters at 4 Vinal St. in Brighton

4 Vinal St. Photo by Eliot.

A fire in a courtyard at 4 Vinal St., off Allston St. around 6:45 a.m. sent residents out onto the street until firefighters knocked it down.

According to the Boston Fire Department: Read more.

By adamg - 4/18/17 - 11:42 pm
Reservoir Street fire in Cambridge

See it larger. Photo by John McMahon.

The Cambridge Fire Department reports "careless disposal of smoking materials on the rear porch" on the second floor caused a fire that heavily damaged the house at 54 Reservoir St. this morning.

John McMahon, a nearby resident, captured the scene at the fire and the nearby streets after firefighters from Cambridge and surrounding communities began arriving after 7:45 a.m. Read more.

By adamg - 1/24/17 - 9:49 pm

WBZ reports fire investigators have determined that at least one subcontractor working on renovation project on Berkshire Street "carelessly disposed of smoking material" in a recycling bin full of construction debris, sparking that 10-alarm fire last month.

Ad:
By adamg - 1/6/17 - 9:12 am

The T had to hold a train from Braintree at JFK/UMass so Transit Police could remove a woman who refused to put out her cigarette, filling her car with the smell of smoke.

By adamg - 11/23/16 - 9:15 am
Read of 36 Hall St. in Jamaica Plain after fire

Rear of 36 Hall St. Photo by BFD.

The Boston Fire Department reports firefighters responded to 36 Hall St. at 4:22 a.m. for what turned into a two-alarm fire.

The department identifies the cause as: " careless disposal of smoking materials, 1st floor rear porch." Read more.

By adamg - 8/4/16 - 2:17 pm

The Boston Fire Department is blaming "careless disposal of smoking materials" on decks for a six-alarm fire on Bunker Hill Street in Charlestown on July 21, a five-alarm fire the next day on Chelsea Street in East Boston and a four-alarm fire on Sawyer Avenue in Dorchester on July 26.

BFD says it's past time for smokers to stop burning buildings down: Read more.

By adamg - 5/24/16 - 11:11 pm

The Boston Fire Department blames "careless disposal of smoking material" for a fire called in around 1:45 a.m. on Friday in the rear of 28 Parmenter St. in the North End.

This fire only did an estimated $5,000 in damage, to the roof of a one-story extension to the four-story occupied building, but firefighters were on scene until 3:35 a.m.

A neighbor adds the fire is particularly concerning because workers from a couple of nearby businesses use the rear of 28 Parmenter as a smoking area all the time.

By adamg - 5/23/16 - 12:07 pm
Firefighters on the roof of 57 W. 7 St. in South Boston

Firefighters making sure the fire is out. Photo by BFD.

The Boston Fire Department reports "careless disposal of smoking material" sparked a fire around 11:45 a.m. on the roof of 57 W. 7 St. that jumped to the siding at 55 and 59 W. 7 St. - "specifically using a rooftop planter as an ashtray."

The department reports no injures; six residents of 57 W. 7, however, were displaced.

By adamg - 2/19/16 - 7:26 pm
Perthshire Road fire in Brighton.

72 Perthshire fire. Photo by BFD.

A fire reported around 7 p.m. at 72 Perthshire Rd. quickly went to three alarms and caused an estimated $500,000 in damage, the Boston Fire Department reports.

Fire Investigators determined the cause as careless disposal of smoking material. Point of origin; 2nd floor rear porch.

Read more.

By adamg - 1/16/16 - 9:49 am
Fire scene on Harrison Street in Roslindale

Harrison Street scene. Photo by BFD.

Updated with cause of fire.

The Boston Fire Department is blaming "careless disposal of smoking materials" for a fire this morning that displaced 14 people in a condo building at 36 Harrison St. in Roslindale.

Firefighters responded to the six-unit building at 6:17 a.m.

One resident was taken to the hospital.

The department estimates damage in the six-unit building at $650,000.

By adamg - 12/17/15 - 8:45 pm

The Boston Board of Health voted today to raise the minimum age to buy tobacco in the city from 18 to 21. That includes e-cigarettes.

By adamg - 5/5/15 - 6:30 pm

A jerk who tossed a lit cigarette butt into some mulch outside an Arlington condo complex sparked a four-alarm fire that left a man dead and dozens of other residents homeless, the Middlesex County District Attorney's office reports. Read more.

By adamg - 3/7/15 - 11:55 pm

The Boston Fire Department reports investigators have determined the cause of a four-alarm fire at 247-249 Washington St. Friday night as "careless disposal of smoking material rear porch of 247."

The fire caused no injuries, but displaced 30 people.

By adamg - 12/18/14 - 3:24 pm

Shortly after 2 p.m., fire alarms started going off at the Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary and that, of course, brought a full complement of Boston firetrucks racing to the scene. The infirmary informs:

Code red (fire) called due to someone apparently smoking outside. Another good reason to quit that habit. All clear.

H/t Starr88.

By adamg - 10/17/14 - 2:31 pm

The Boston Fire Department says "careless disposal of smoking material" led to a fire last month that ravaged two apartment buildings on Harvard Terrace.

A spokesman says somebody discarded a still lit cigarette or cigar in an interior stairwell in the rear of 12 Harvard Terrace sometime in the early evening of Sept. 3. The fire spread rapidly up through the building and caused heavy smoke damage in two adjoining buildings.

By adamg - 4/10/14 - 10:08 am

The Boston Fire Department reports the cause of yesterday's fire at 52 Thomas Park, which did an estimated $600,000 in damage and sent a resident and a firefighter to the hospital was:

Careless disposal of smoking material first floor rear porch.

By adamg - 2/27/14 - 10:48 am
Fields Corner fire

The Boston Fire Department reports "careless disposal of smoking material" made 12 people homeless and injured a firefighter this morning at 24 Freeman St., right behind the inbound platform at the Red Line Fields Corner station.

The department says the fire started under the 2 1/2-story home's rear porch and went to two alarms after firefighters arrived around 10:15 a.m.

The injured firefighter suffered burns, the department says, adding damage was estimated at $300,000.

By adamg - 2/1/14 - 2:44 pm
Massachusetts Avenue fire

UPDATE: The Boston Fire Department blames a smoker:

Fire Investigators state the cause of the 7 alarm fire was the careless disposal of smoking material, 5th floor rear apt

A fire that broke out around 2:15 p.m. at 31 Massachusetts Avenue went to seven alarms and injured two firefighters.

The Boston Fire Department reports 35 residents were made homeless but that none were injured.

The department estimated damage at $2.5 million.

Subscribe to Smokers