Among the items in the New York Public Library's online collection of Boston images is this postcard showing the Boston Opera House on Huntington Avenue.
It opened in 1909, thanks to a $700,000 donation from Eben Jordan (as in Jordan Marsh), never really did very well and then, in the 1950s, when the BRA was in full Tear Down All the Things mode, Northeastern got permission to tear it down to put up what is now Speare Hall. Only the hall didn't go down easily: Two demolition companies gave up trying to knock the thing down; finally, a third company came in with a bigger wrecking ball and knocked all of it down.
Today, its performances echo in the name of the tiny side street off Huntington called Opera Place - and in a single brick that for some reason Northeastern decided to save from the fate of all the other bricks that once made up the opera house.
More from the Globe.
Photo from its later years.